Advice for starting with a new batch of coworkers
Starting work with new people can be intimidating but relationships matter. Here are some actions I kept in mind this past week as I started fresh with two new groups of colleagues.
- Go to the lunch you are invited to even if you are an introvert and usually do not eat lunch.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Offer to help even if it is something small
- Ask questions — people like to talk about themselves and their roles
- Visit their environment but keep it low key.
- Don’t try to change anything…yet.
As I made the rounds yesterday in one of the new schools I now work in, I had quick conversations. The question I had at the ready was, “What is your favorite thing to teach?” Most of the teachers said math which was surprising to me. One showed off her wall of vocabulary.
I got even was gifted a loaf of fresh bread.
I heard from a reading teacher that a 10 minute number activity was something that changed her teaching. I always love hearing stories like this one. I was thrilled she shared it with me.
One teacher told me she was afraid of writing so we are working on it together this first trimester.
All week there was lots of peopling but I think it is going to be worth it. I am encouraged and excited for this year!