I am the guest blogger at TeachWrite today! Check it out here!
Most of these ideas I use with picture books, but short stories and longer text can work!
- Quickwrite: For a predetermined set of time (use a timer) use what the book reminds you of in your own life. The rule is to continue writing NO MATTER WHAT!
- Stop reading in the middle of the book and have students write their ending. Finish the book the next day and do a compare and contrast!
- Use the title to write your own story.
- Write a letter to the author.
- Tweet to the author.
- Create an anchor chart “Phrases We Wish We Had Written”
- Use great vocabulary for a reading inspired word wall – Favorite names for these I have seen over the years:
- Dynamic Words
- Vivid Vocabulary
- Purple Words
- Fancy Nancy Words
When you are stuck with your own writing these ideas work for the adults too!