Brainpickings is one of my favorite websites and newsletter. I subscribe and enjoy the weekly articles which I have found it to contain some of the most intelligent and interesting content on the web. It is a great source to link to other worthwhile reading.
I find my way to my new obsessions in curious ways sometimes. Let me explain how this sequence of new obsession occurred:
- While listening to Tsh’s podcast this week she quoted Parker Palmer, an author I had never heard of before. I enjoyed the quote and made sure to check the shownotes to copy it down correctly.
- While I was searching for something else I also found a blogpost from Modern Mrs Darcy about Palmer’s books.
- This blogpost led me to the articles on Brainpickings about Palmer.
When a topic or a name pops up in front of me 3 times or more I figure I am supposed to pay attention. It seems that Palmer’s writing is exactly what I need right now. The quote that Tsh shared (#4 below) is a thought that is much more eloquently expressed in Palmer’s words then it has been in my own head. It is however what I have been contemplating and reflecting on all this week.
Palmer’s book is requested at the public library ( I am trying to cut down on the book buying…will let you know how THAT goes…) and I am looking forward to growing as a person as I read his work.
Here are some ideas I have gleaned so far:
- I need to honor my shadow and my light. I also need to honor these characteristics in others.
- Wholeness is the goal – not perfection.
- I need to exercise my heart with joy and pains. Self protection all the time does not lead to an interesting life.
- “Before you tell your life what you intend to do with it, listen for what it intends to do with you.”